Italy was the home of one of the world’s greatest empires and many of its roads are still in use today making driving both a pleasure and historically interesting. Car hire in Italy can be very reasonably priced; all you have to do is to remember to book your car hire in advance on our website. We can then search the top providers to find the best deals and present them to you.
Italy Mini Guide
How do I get There?
There are no direct flights to any Italian cities from South Africa so a connecting flight will be necessary. The most popular are Paris, London, Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Zurich.
Getting Around the Country
Top to toe it’s over a thousand miles so domestic flights are popular. Choose yours carefully and you can start and end at a hub airport. Elsewhere, some of Europe’s best drives can be found. Tour the Alps, the lakes or amble through Tuscany.
Driving in Italy
In the cities, driving can be frantic and chaotic. Out in the countryside you will find it peaceful and relaxing – a complete contrast. There’s a good network of motorways meaning that you can get just about anywhere quickly.
Eating out in Italy
Pizza, pasta, Chianti, Parma ham, Parmesan cheese and Bolognese sauce sums it up – one of the world’s great cuisines.
Hotels in Italy
Bed and breakfast is a popular and cheap form of accommodation. You get to stay in mainly traditional buildings and enjoy the company of your host too. Hotels are generally quite cheap with a good one easily found at around R1000 a night.
What are the Highlights of Italy?
- Rome is a definite must see, both the historic and the modern parts. It’s like going back in time in many parts, especially imagining the gladiatorsin the Colosseum.
- The Vatican. Headquarters of the Catholic Church, you’ll be bowled over by the beauty and splendour of the papal city.
- Pisa and Florence. Amongst many beautiful renaissance Italian cities, these two stand out in popularity for their attractions and style.
- Venice. One of the world’s most unique cities, take a gondola ride or kiss on the Bridge of Sighs.
- The islands. Sicily and Sardinia have so much to offer including the country’s best beaches.
- The Lakes. A beautiful and romantic part of the world and popular with celebrities. Take a boat trip on Maggiore, Garda or Como and admire the delightful scenery.
Italy Car Rental - Did You Know?